Thursday, January 4, 2007

Just The Beginning



I could get used to this.

When I arrived at the St Thomas airport, I was greeted by a lovely cardboard sign held by Cory, the Production Manager at Pistarckle Theater. We got into his jeep (the vehicle of choice given the roads around here) and drove through the island to Nikki's house, where I'd have an apartment.

We hit traffic at 5pm through downtown and the waterfront. Cory gave me afew island tips to help ease me into STT life:

Always greet with "Good morning," "Good afternoon," or "Good evening."
People stop frequently on the road to talk or pick up someone.
To hitch a ride, point in the direction you want to go, don't thumb.
Drivers honk a lot to communicate.
Drivers are anxious to let you pull out onto the road.
And of course, Drive on the Left. (I can already see myself having a problem with that...)

Driving through dense greenery on back roads that reminded me of Jamaican mountain roads, the air was warm and breezy. Small rain squalls come and go in this season, as do the tourists from cruise ships and day sails. I didn't expect St. Thomas to be so busy, but it is the most populated of the three USVIs. It is impossible to get around without a car because the terrain is so hilly.

After unloading my two suitaces, i was greeted by Nikki and her son Alex, and daughter Maxine, and three dogs, all who had returned from the beach. Then with a glass of white wine, I sat down on the veranda to enjoy the view of St John, due east, and rainbow.

My small apartment has a tiny foyer with a staircase up to the bedroom, a bathroom, couch, and kitchen. The bedroom is my favorite; it's tiny and fits a TV, wardrobe and an elevated bed next to huge Florida windows to the east, a balcony to the west, and roof access for yoga and capeiora in the morning (I promised Nikki I'd do my best not to fall)...

That evening was Maxine's last night before returning to school in Virginia, so we plus Nikki's husband Brian went out to Franklin's for appetizers and drinks. Sitting at the bar, listening to the surf from the beach-side restaurant, I was in heaven. I saw a few tourists with whom I shared the plane ride over, avoided them, and tried the famous "Painkiller," a drink born on St Thomas.

Painkiller:
2 ounces flavored rum
4 ounces unsweetened pineapple juice
1 ounce orange juice
1 ounce coconut cream

Garnish with nutmeg, YUM

Anxious to get to sleep after my day of travel and introduction to teh island, I left the restaurant at 10:30 with Max and 2 of her friends.

Tomorrow: car, theater, sun.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Sounds fantastic! Too bad you have to do any work!

Unknown said...

Hi, Betsy! Bill and I have subscribed to your blog so we can keep up with your amazing adventures! Carpe diem!

Holly Stevens

Charlie Headington said...

Now I'm working on getting on this blog.