Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Much Ado About Something...




To pick up more money, and for my general edification, I have agreed to produce Bethany’s Shakespeare and Renaissance Festival that will happen in May. Bethany, in case I have not introduced her yet, is the Education Director at Pistarckle Theater. She holds after school programs and devises shows with her students. She’s well organized, ambitious, amazing.

So I’m working for her to produce this festival. It combines St Thomas artisans, guest performers from NYC, and local student performances of Shakespeare scenes. Based on a New York City Shakespeare student festival and teacher development program, the festival is very ambitious. But it’s a great experience. I can get my hands in Shakespeare again.

She wants to bring me back to St Thomas in April/May to attend the festival if it actually happens. And I may even return over Christmas 2007 to direct a show for Nikki—a non-ballet Nutcracker of sorts.

So for 3Penny, I will be the music director only. Not in the show, which would be way too much work. We have a great Production Manager at the theater, Shanna, who is also Polly in 3Penny, and she’s letting me work with her at her side business of cleaning boats. Everyone here is connected to each other in two or three ways; it’s a very small world down here.

The first few rehearsals have gone well. No attitudes or egos I have to contend with, at least nothing I can’t handle by my charm and wiles. Right.

We have rehearsals 7 days a week. I spend most of my time at the theater, which I need not do. I need to explore a bit more down here, like frequenting a beach or two…

No comments: